Build simple forms … but effective!
Subscription to a newsletter, creation of an account on mobile to concretize the shopping cart, request of contact on line, adhesion to a program of fidelity, registration of a customer by an operator … as many stages subjected to small or large forms. Depending on their degree of optimization, they can represent an accelerator or a brake on the finalization of the action taken, or even on conversion.
An online form is more than just a few fields to complete. It conditions the rest of the relationship with your interlocutor, which implies to pay the greatest attention, asking the right questions as soon as it is drawn up. The strategic objectives, marketing … it must be used to determine what data to collect. This will allow you to define the fields to use and ergonomics to favor, to offer the best experience to your visitor and optimize your chances of conversion.
A good form is a form that is completely completed
Online, a customer / prospect who easily fills each field will conclude the action initiated by clicking on the final call-to-action (which must be incentive!). With a form that is too long or poorly designed, you expose yourself to a risk of abandonment … By phone, your employees connected to the CRM who fill out a form or qualifies the customer data, also waiting to be helped in their daily lives . To ensure smooth user experience on one side, and maintain your productivity in managing incoming data on the other, your forms must be thought smart.
For that, a password: data minimization. A form that has less than 7 fields greatly increases its conversion capabilities. Question the relevance of each field, to keep only the most essential. If, however, a certain number is necessary, clearly label the boxes and sections of the form and prefer a progressive filling, especially as many marketing automation tools allow.
Then think about facilitating the input and to optimize the ergonomics of the form, by ordering the fields to enter in a logical way or even by opting for a “single line” entry to reduce their number. Autocompletion (on the first name, last name, postal address and email fields) speeds up the entry by suggesting relevant answers that the client only has to validate. Very practical solutions also for mobile media that often do not promote complete filling.
Make each field reliable and secure
To make a form to collect quality data relies certainly on its ergonomics, its number of fields, on the experience of filling … it is already a very good start. But are these data stored in your customer databases accurate and reliable? Why leave the user the responsibility to verify that he did not make a mistake when entering …
There are a multitude of “thumbs up” treatments to make your forms more reliable, so your databases: from the control of the information entered to the recognition of an existing customer, all in real time during the input, in order to avoid injecting erroneous data, full of duplicates that will penalize your actions and your marketing budgets:
- The fields relating to the identity (surname, first name, civility) can be made reliable by the automatic verification of the concordance between the civility and given first name.
- E-mail address errors (or false addresses) can be detected based on the existence of the domain name and the recent activity recorded on the e-mail.
- The existence of the postal addresses will be validated and put in the norms (RNVP) by checking their matching with the data coming from the international postal references. The postal code will be able to benefit from a help with the seizure, with suggestion of the (or the) commune (s) corresponding (s).
- The mobile and landline numbers of your contact will also be verified and properly formatted.
- The B2B coordinates will be enriched with postal address, SIRET, NAF code, level of sales, workforce, telephone numbers … from the sole company name and postal code.
Lose the statistics that half of Internet users have already abandoned a purchase because of a form to fill! If it is short and well designed, you have every chance to accompany your contact at the end of it and collect real time data correct and reliable. Enough to engage your audience on a sound basis and consider rising conversion rates.